Job title: Paper/Cellulose Engineer
Location: NW suburbs of Boston, MA: Bedford, MA
Start date: immediate
Folia Materials is an award-winning cleantech materials startup and we are looking for individuals who take initiative - in both their work and their community - to join our rapidly growing, fast-paced team. Folia Materials’s first products use an innovative green chemistry process to use large-scale paper machinery to manufacture low-cost nano-metal functionalized materials that create new bio-based products. This full-time position is ideal for a motivated materials chemist seeking a high-growth role that will build both technical and management-related skills. The candidate will play a key role in product development, quality control, production trials, materials characterization, and sales-support efforts for Folia Material’s breakthrough technology. Candidates with experience in multiple relevant scientific or engineering disciplines who can demonstrate a track record of rapidly mastering new domains are particularly encouraged to apply.
The candidate will be responsible for a variety of functions in Folia Material’s Materials Lab. This position involves closely working with the CTO and with corporate partners to create new formulations to meet use case requirements and then to make that at scale. Specifically, knowledge of paper/cellulosic fibers and food packaging is desired. Duties include creating new product formulations based on consumer feedback, materials testing, planning pilot production trials, sample management, chemical management, and consumable procurement. Successful candidates will help coordinate the activities of interns and co-ops students in the lab. Monthly travel to pilot production trials will be required to help support company objectives.
- A master’s degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline (chemical engineering, renewable materials chemistry, paper science and engineering, fiber/textile science) is required with several years of experience. Bachelors with 5-7 years of experience and PhD degrees with industrial experience will also be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in product development in cellulosic materials, pulp and paper, or textiles
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a laboratory, maintaining and operating equipment, and maintaining records and reports of product development activities.
- Must be able to engage multiple business functions (customer technical service, manufacturing, market development) from concept to commercialization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects
Skills of particular interest include:
- Cellulose chemistry R&D experience
- Paper and fiber product development
- Pilot-scale reel-to-reel and/or paper production scale up to commercial scale
- Materials testing (paper and fiber characterization methods, SEM, others)
- Cellulosic materials bench-scale synthesis and chemical modification
- Proficient in the use of tools relevant to these fields, such as Excel.