Job title: Chemical/Materials Scientist
Location: NW suburbs of Boston, MA: Bedford, MA
Start date: immediate
Folia Materials is an award-winning cleantech materials startup and we are looking for individuals who take initiative - in both their work and their community - to join our rapidly growing, fast-paced team. Folia Materials’s first products use an innovative green chemistry process to use large-scale paper machinery to manufacture low-cost nano-metal functionalized materials that create new bio-based products. This full-time position is ideal for a motivated materials chemist seeking a high-growth role that will build both technical and management-related skills. The candidate will play a key role in product development, quality control, production trials, materials characterization, and sales-support efforts for Folia Material’s breakthrough technology. Candidates with experience in multiple relevant scientific or engineering disciplines who can demonstrate a track record of rapidly mastering new domains are particularly encouraged to apply.
The candidate will be responsible for a variety of functions in Folia Materials’ research & development lab. This position involves closely working with the CTO, Folia’s technical management, and with corporate partners to create new functional coating formulations to meet use case requirements and then to make that at the pilot manufacturing scale. Typical duties include creating new coating formulations, materials testing, planning pilot production trials, sample management, chemical management, and consumable procurement. Successful candidates will be good leaders comfortable growing into a management role and will help coordinate the activities of interns and co-op students in the lab. Additional responsibilities include Quality Control Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and method development. Monthly travel to partner's production facilities will be required to help support company objectives.
- A MS or BS degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline (chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, paper science and engineering, fiber/textile science) is required.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in a laboratory, maintaining and operating equipment, and maintaining records and reports of product development activities.
- Minimum 3 years experience working in nonwovens, paper, coating, polymers, and/or textile industry
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong executive leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Skills of particular interest include:
- 3-5+ years experience in product development in pulp and paper or nonwovens or textiles industries
- Materials testing: paper characterization methods, SEM, XRF, ICP-MS
- Materials synthesis and chemical modification
- Quality Control SOP development