Science Intern for Materials Startup - Fall 2022
Folia Materials is a Boston-based start-up that is in the process of developing new use cases for our low-cost nano-material coated products.
We are looking for an engineering intern with a strong technical background to join our Engineering team for the Summer 2022 semester in a paid program. The intern will work with our engineers to design, build, and document anything from test equipment to prototypes, jigs, and fixtures. Folia pursues a human-centered design philosophy and this comes through in developing many prototypes and testing them rigorously, you'll join that testing program.
The candidate will have a chance to learn about:
- Mold injected consumer product design
- International medical device regulations and testing procedures
- Operating test equipment in a commercial R&D laboratory
- Quality assurance testing
- International & cultural design considerations
- SLA & FDM Additive Technologies
- Metal Fabrication / CNC Milling & Turning
- Rapid prototyping & design iteration
- Communication and presentation skills when working with an interdisciplinary engineering team.
The candidate will also work closely with our engineering team to support lab-scale development work and data sampling methods. This internship will allow someone who is results-focused to flourish as they work through details of implementation with enough oversight to avoid pitfalls. The ability to develop workarounds in order to together get good enough data while developing a more refined system to get more accurate data is very relevant.
Job duties include:
- Working with the engineering team to design, build, and document test equipment, prototypes, and fixtures.
- Helping maintain a neat and orderly lab environment.
- Inspecting incoming finished products to see if they meet our internal standards.
- Collecting data and performing basic analysis to present internally.
- Troubleshooting equipment breakdowns and addressing problems
- 1-2 years experience using Solidworks or similar CAD/CAM.
- Currently enrolled in a Mechanical / Electrical / Biomedical Engineering program at an accredited university. (Junior or Senior status only)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with basic hand tools
- Experience with basic power tools such as a drill, circular saw, wood sander, etc.)
- Experience with basic measurement tools such as a tape measure, calipers, etc.)
- Self-driven with the ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Capable of running multiple tasks and prioritizing tasks on a results-driven basis
- Ability to learn and understand previously unfamiliar electronics and electronic systems through documentation research
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills on electrical and or mechanical systems
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Proficient with Digital/Dial Calipers & Micrometers
- Experience with soldering
- Proficient with the Google Drive suite of programs
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate effectively with people in different aspects
- Strong time management skills
- Previous experience working in a machine shop or lab environment
The candidate will have a chance to apply strong project management and organizing experience, and to gain a deeper understanding of how testing decisions are impacted by cost, consumer, and environment.
Folia's lab is located in Woburn, MA where the internship will mostly take place.
Folia is committed to hiring a workforce that reflects the wonderful diversity of our planet.